OK, on to what this post is really supposed to focus on. As I was packing and unpacking all of my file folders and boxes I got to thinking about my filing system. (I am also kind of obsessed with organizing things.) I thought this might interest some of you. Here's how it goes:
- Sort through mail - throw away junk and place the rest in appropriate folders. I have two folders on my desk, "to do" and "to file."
- Sort "to file" paperwork by month. I have an accordion file with a pocket for each month. Most paper from my "to file" folder ends up in this filer under it's corresponding month.
- Place other information in desk file drawer. This is where I save school information, work information, Addresses, User's manuals, Warranties, catalogs, information that I will need when it is time for Paul (thank goodness!) to do the taxes etc.
- At the end of the year, but not until after Paul has done the taxes, I take all of the documents from that year out of the month to month filer, and put them in one labeled folder, and add them to our "7 year" box. This is where they will stay for 7 years and then be destroyed.
That's the process for my day to day filing, but there's more. Are you excited?! I also have...
- A file box for all of our very important information that doesn't change often, such as health insurance, renter's information, car information, etc. It is not very often that I have to get into this box.
- It is even less often that I get into our fire safe, where we keep our most important documents that we would definitely not want to lose under any circumstance.
So, that's it. Obviously, it doesn't have to be pretty. (As you can see, I am not a perfectionist and some of my files and boxes are pretty dang old!) It took me a couple of years before I really got a good system in place. I don't know if it is the best, but it works for me.
Now it's your turn to share. How do you manage all of your paperwork?
6 comments:
Hello fellow nerd! I love organizing and filing. My mom tells me that I used to organize things even as a little girl. I'm not into office supplies as much but you put me down the organizing aisles at Walmart and it's dangerous.
Mine filing is similar but not pretty either. My hubby bought me a label maker for my birthday! He thought it was a silly gift and would have hated it but got it knowing I'd love it!
I just give it to my wife. ;-)
I also LOVE to organize. In one of my recreation management classes we went around and said what we like to do for recreation and I said organize and everyone looked at me like I was insane. I am not as on top of things as I would like these days, but I keep files by category or account and at the end of each year I purge the stuff I don't need (I keep all my receipts until the end of the year, it drives john crazy that I ask for them). So I keep some of the stuff and put it in a plastic accordion file and I haven't really gotten farther than that. I do have a file box with more permanent stuff like legal documents from all the times we've been to court (did you know we were criminals?), and taxes, etc. Maybe I should get a fire/water proof box. You have inspired me, maybe this can be another of the activities we will do together when I don't have to go to work anymore...organize, yee haw! P.S. I love Paul's comment, sounds like something John would agree with.
My filing system is to leave it on the kitchen table for a couple of days. Finally, I get sick of it sitting there, so I shred it and throw it away or toss it into a box in our closet. Yikes! I need lessons from Lori!
Becky, the more I get to know you, the more I realize I don't know about you. . . maybe someday you guys will share all of your secrets.;) I am excited to hear your Christmas card idea!!! Oh, and we got our safe at Wal-mart for about $30 bucks.
Well said.
Post a Comment